Axial Flow Fan, or Industrial Axial Fan
Axial Flow Fans are different from Centrifugal
Fans and Blowers in the way they move the air. An Axial Flow
Fan or Industrial Axial Fan uses
a propeller to draw the air into it, and discharge it, in the same axial
direction. A Centrifugal Blower draws the air into the
inlet of the blower housing with one of seven types of wheels. The
blower draws the air through the wheel, and discharges it at 90 degrees out through
the discharge of the housing. A device that moves air with a propeller is
typically referred to as a Fan, while one with a wheel
is referred to as a Blower.
Contact a Sales Engineer – over 170 across the USA and
Canada to assist you
In this section we will cover axial type Industrial Axial Fans
or Industrial Axial Flow Fans. For information about centrifugal
type blowers, see Industrial Blowers
or Centrifugal Fans.
The two most common types of industrial, Axial Flow Fans
are Tube Axial Fans (or Ducted Fans) and Panel
Fans or Wall Fans. Tube Axial Fans
use a propeller, rotating in a round section of duct, which is mounted into ductwork
of the same diameter to exhaust hot and/or contaminated air from a process or system.
Panel Fans or Wall Fans use a propeller,
rotating in a flat panel, which is mounted to a wall to exhaust air from a room
or draw air into a room. Other Axial Flow Fans that incorporate
the Tube Axial Fan design are Personnel Coolers
and Air Circulators.
Tube Axial Fans can be direct driven with the propeller mounted directly on the
motor shaft or belt driven with the propeller mounted on a separate fan shaft and
driven by the motor through belts and sheaves. Axial Flow Fans
are ideal for moving large volumes of air, rated in cubic feet of air per minute
(CFM) at low pressures, rated in static pressure (SP).
The propellers used in Axial Flow Fans are typically made of plastic, fabricated
steel, cast aluminum or stainless steel. However, plastic propellers are generally
not considered “industrial duty” and are therefore used only in commercial or residential
To make the proper fan selection, you must consider the following system conditions
the fan will be subjected to:
1. What is the required airflow?
This is rated in cubic feet of air per minute (CFM) or, in metric
equivalent, it is rated in cubic meters of air per hour (M³/Hr).
2. What is the static pressure through the complete system?
This is rated in static pressure water gauge (SP) or, in metric
equivalent, it is rated in Pascal’s (Pa).
3. What is the ambient air temperature outside the fan?
4. What will be the airflow conditions through the fan?
- Clean or dirty (contaminated) air?
- Dry or wet (moisture laden) air?
- Temperature of air?
5. What is the altitude the fan will be operating in?
6. Will the air stream, inside the fan, contain anything that could be explosive
7. Will the general location the fan will be operating in contain any type
of explosive or flammable material or liquid?
Cincinnati Fan offers five types of industrial Axial Flow Fans. All include heavy-duty
designs for industrial applications. We manufacture Tube Axial Duct Fans, Panel
Fans, Personnel Coolers and Air Circulators. Our Tube
Axial Duct Fans are available in both direct driven or belt driven models. Our Panel
Fans, Personnel Coolers and Air Circulators are all direct driven. All models are
available with cast aluminum, steel or stainless steel propellers. All models can
also be manufactured in all aluminum or all stainless steel construction.
Cincinnati Fan does not manufacture any consumer or residential type fans. But,
we do offer 18 models of Axial Flow Industrial Fans. We
manufacture fans in the ¼ to 15 horsepower range with airflow capacities from 700
to 44,500 CFM and static pressures from 1/8” to 1-1/8” SPWG.
The most common applications for Axial Flow Fans include:
- Paint spray booth exhaust.
- Fume hood exhaust to exhaust dangerous fumes away from the operator.
- Welding fume exhaust in welding booths.
- Process cooling and exhaust of machinery and/or systems.
- Spot cooling of heat generating equipment such as generators or transformers.
- General ventilation using supply air and/or make-up air in factories, warehouses,
garages, laundries and transformer, engine or equipment rooms.
- People cooling in hot work areas.
- Exhausting heat and cooling of kilns, forges and in steel mills.
- Boosting airflow through long ductwork.
- Exhausting mist and vapor in paper mills or industrial parts washers prior to painting
The benefits of Cincinnati Fan Axial Flow Fans are:
- Most types and models, with most accessories, are shipped within
10-15 working days.Quicker than industry standards.
- Spark resistant, cast aluminum propellers are standard. Not optional
or extra as with some other fan manufacturers. Ideal for paint spray booth
- All aluminum or all stainless steel construction is “not special”
for us. We manufacture most models with both types of construction almost weekly.
Faster delivery to you.
- All types, models and sizes are available with multiple propellers for a wider range
of air flows to meet your exact requirements. More design flexibility.
- Heavy duty, industrial components and continuous duty motors ensures long lasting
operation minimizing equipment down time. Dependable service with few field
- Belt driven models utilize wider spacing between the fan bearings which increases
the bearing life before replacements are needed. Less down time.
- All fans and blowers are manufactured in our 110,000 square foot, state-of-the-art
factory in Mason, Ohio. Not imported.
- Service! Without it, all the above is meaningless. We
pride ourselves and are highly respected in the fan industry for the quality and
service we give all our customers.
Let us prove it to you also.
The design steps, listed previously, are critical for the proper selection and construction
of your fan. We have over 170 experienced sales engineers across the U.S.A. and
Canada ready to assist you in making the proper fan selection. Call our sales office
for your area. They most likely have already sold some fans for your type of application.
We are "The OEM and Industrial Air Handling Specialists" Let us prove
it to you.